Saturday, July 10, 2010

From the Collaboratory

I wrote last week about exploring the whys and wherefores of successful marketing for photographers on etsy with Taryn Pyle of BornBarefoot. At the end of our last e-mail exchange, right before I posted, she discovered that she had gotten more than 500 hits on her site. She also sold 5 prints, all of the same photo. After much research and discussion, here’s what we’ve discovered: It’s all about visibility.

The more photos you list, the more your work will appear on the etsy homepage under “newly listed.” The more people see your work, the more likely it is to be chosen for a treasury or as a Handpicked Item.






Laughing Out Loud by ara133photography


I took a close look at two etsy photographers, ara133 and ketzelphotography, both of whom have been selling on etsy since 2007 and both of whom have sales figures approaching 8- or 900.

Here’s what they do:
Post several new photos at a time
Do so frequently
Divide their shops into sections, by either subject or style of photography
Purchase Showcase spots
Use all 14 available tags.






Rust Reflections by ketzelphotography


On the other end of the spectrum, I looked at “undiscovered shops looking for their first sale” under Pounce (Home>Buy>Pounce). Almost all of them had listed fewer than a dozen items, though some of them were new to etsy and still building their shops. It takes time to get rolling.




Hummingbird Nest by Teha


Taryn also suggested adding a link to the photo description whenever one is selected for a treasury. As she said, it lets people know that someone else liked the image.

We continue to welcome everyone to this debate. Please share your successes and lessons with us!




After the Storm by Larry 727




Nakedeye17 (Su) thinks of photography as a wake-up call: "Hey, everybody! Are you seeing this?" She loves to capture humor, too, and anything wondrous strange. Find Nakedeye17's shop here.

9 comments:

Ara133photography said...

Thanks so much for including us!! I do have a helpful (hopefully) comment - any showcase spots I've purchased (4 now) have been total DUDS. Hardly any views & definitely no sales related to the showcase (I ask my customers where they found me)... I'd say spend the $ on listing new photos :) Though - I know that in Irene Suchocki's "Featured Seller" article last year, she did say that she does buy showcase spots once in a while - or at least did at the time of the interview! I just don't find them helpful at all. Hope that helps! :) -Amy

Nakedeye17 said...

Amy, thanks! I've found that traffic on my site increases while a showcase is running, but I haven't had any sales from them. Good to hear your perspective.

8~D
Su

Just Me said...

I have not had much luck with showcases, but I think it depends on when you use them and which showcase. I think people are more likely to go the Holiday showcases as an example. These are usually the showcases that fill up quite fast.

Here is a new tip that I think will keep people in your show longer. It was recently talked about on one of the ETSY emails.

The goal is to reduce your bounce rate and keep people on your site longer looking at more photos.

They recommended that you put a url to another similiar photo in the description body of your listing. For example, if you are listing a butterful photo and have another one already listed in your shop, put a note, that "If you like this photo, you might like this one as well: (Put url of second photo here). This will show up as a link in the copy and will encourage people to click further into your shop.

Mary said...

Wonderful tips we can all be reminded of. Amazing moments captured here. I'm loving Teha's birds! Wow! I love hearing from longtime sellers and seeing amazing new work, it's really nice to see so many people sharing their visions! :))

PhotoGrunt said...

Great information, Su! I've learned something new that will hopefully help! Keep it up!

Pam of Always Artistic said...

Wonderful tips in the post and the comments! Love the photography by both sellers! :)

Jay B. Wilson said...

I've done a handful of showcases, with mixed results. Page views certainly go up, but if you look at spending $7.00 for a Photo Showcase Spot, you could spend that $7.00 on 35 new listings or renewals (at $0.20 each) and probably generate more traffic.

I do need to work on my bounce rate, though. It's often 70% or higher. Thanks for the reminder to try to lower that.

Jen said...

Great tips here! Thanks for sharing these. :)

Nakedeye17 said...

Thank you all for reading, and especially for adding your wisdom to the collaboratory.

Let's keep this conversation going!

Su
Nakedeye17